Stockport is made up of, Brinnington Bosden Farm Cale Green Cheadle Heath Davenport Davenport Park Edgeley Foggbrook Great Moor Heaviley Heaton Chapel Heaton Mersey Heaton Moor Heaton Norris Little Moor North Reddish Offerton Offerton Green Portwood Reddish Reddish Green Reddish Vale Shaw Heath South Reddish Stepping Hill Woodsmoor
Stockport is a large town in Greater Manchester, England. It lies on elevated ground 6 miles (10 km) southeast of Manchester city centre, at the point where the rivers Goyt and Tame merge to create the River Mersey. Stockport is the largest settlement in the metropolitan borough of the same name. As of the 2001 Census the town had a population of 136,082 and the wider borough 284,528.
Historically, most of the town was in Cheshire, but the area to the north of the Mersey was in Lancashire. Stockport in the 16th century was a small town entirely on the south bank of the Mersey, and known for the cultivation of hemp and rope manufacture. In the 18th century the town had one of the first mechanised silk factories in the British Isles. However, Stockport's predominant industries of the 19th century were the cotton and allied industries. Stockport was also at the centre of the country's hatting industry, which by 1884 was exporting more than six million hats a year the last hat works in Stockport closed in 1997.
Dominating the western approaches to the town is the Stockport Viaduct. Built in 1840, the viaduct's 27 brick arches carry the mainline railways from Manchester to Birmingham and London over the River Mersey. This structure featured as the background in many paintings by L. S. Lowry.
Stockport was recorded as "Stokeport" in 1170. The currently accepted etymology is Old English stoc, a market place, with port, a hamlet (but more accurately a minor settlement within an estate) hence, a market place at a hamlet. Older derivations include stock, a stockaded place or castle, with port, a wood, hence a castle in a wood. The castle probably refers to Stockport Castle, a 12th-century motte-and-bailey first mentioned in 1173.
Other derivations are based on early variants such as Stopford and Stockford. There is evidence that a ford across the Mersey existed at the foot of Bridge Street Brow. Stopford retains a use in the adjectival form, Stopfordian, for Stockport-related items, and pupils of Stockport Grammar School |||
Stockport has never been a sea or river port. The Mersey is not navigable to anything much above canoe size in the centre of Stockport it has been culverted and the main shopping street, Merseyway, built above it.
The earliest evidence for human occupation in the wider area are microliths from the hunter-gatherers of the Mesolithic period (the Middle Stone Age, about 8000–3500 BC) and weapons and stone tools from the Neolithic period (the New Stone Age, 3500–2000 BC). Early Bronze Age (2000–1200 BC) remains include stone hammers, flint knives, palstaves (bronze axe heads), and funerary urns all finds have been chance discoveries, rather than a systematic search of a known site. There is a gap in the age of finds between about 1200 BC and the start of the Roman period in about 70 AD. This may indicate depopulation, possibly due to a poorer climate.
Despite a strong local tradition, there is little evidence of a Roman military station at Stockport. It is assumed that roads from Cheadle to Ardotalia (Melandra) and Manchester to Buxton crossed close to the town centre. The preferred site is at a ford over the Mersey, known to be paved in the 18th century, but it has never been proved that this or any roads in the area are Roman. Hegginbotham reported (in 1892) the discovery of Roman mosaics at Castle Hill (around Stockport market) in the late 18th century, during the construction of a mill, but noted it was "founded on tradition only" substantial stonework has never been dated by modern methods. However, Roman coins and pottery were probably found there during the 18th century. A cache of coins dating from 375–378 AD may have come from the banks of the Mersey at Daw Bank these were possibly buried for safekeeping at the side of a road.
Six coins from the reigns of the Anglo-Saxon English Kings Edmund (reigned 939–946) and Eadred (reigned 946–955) were found during ploughing at Reddish Green in 1789. There are contrasting views about the significance of this Arrowsmith takes this as evidence for the existence of a settlement at that time, but Morris states the find could be "an isolated incident". The small cache is the only Anglo-Saxon find in the area. However, the etymology Stoc-port suggests inhabitation during this period.
Medieval and early modern period.
The Three Shires, built in 1580, now Huffy's restaurant
No part of Stockport appears in the Domesday Book of 1086. The area north of the Mersey was part of the hundred of Salford, which was poorly surveyed. The area south of the Mersey was part of the Hamestan (Macclesfield) hundred. (Cheadle, Bramhall, Bredbury, and Romiley are mentioned, but these all lay just outside the town limits.) The survey includes valuations of the Salford hundred as a whole and Cheadle (etc.) for the times of Edward the Confessor (i.e. just before the Norman invasion of 1066) and the time of the survey. The reduction in value is taken as evidence of destruction by William the Conqueror's men in the campaigns generally known as the Harrying of the North. The omission of Stockport was once taken as evidence that destruction was so complete that a survey was not needed.
Arrowsmith argues from the etymology that Stockport may have still been a market place associated with a larger estate, and so would not be surveyed separately. The Anglo-Saxon landholders in the area were dispossessed and the land divided amongst the new Norman rulers. The first borough charter was granted in about 1220 and was the only basis for local government for six hundred years.
A castle held by Geoffrey de Costentin is recorded as a rebel stronghold against Henry II in 1173–1174 when his sons revolted. There is an incorrect local tradition that Geoffrey was the king's son, Geoffrey II, Duke of Brittany, who was one of the rebels. Dent gives the size of the castle as about 31 by 60 m (102 by 200 ft), and suggests it was similar in pattern to those at Pontefract and Launceston. The castle was probably ruinous by the middle of the 16th century, and in 1642 it was agreed to demolish it. Castle Hill, possibly the motte, was levelled in 1775 to make space for Warren's mill, see below. Nearby walls, once thought to be either part of the castle or of the town walls, are now thought to be revetments to protect the cliff face from erosion.
The regicide John Bradshaw (1602–1659) was baptised at Wibersley, in the parish of Stockport, and attended Stockport Free School. A lawyer, he was appointed lord president of the high court of justice for the trial of King Charles I in 1649. Although he was dead by the time of the Restoration in 1660, his body was brought up to London and hanged in its coffin at Tyburn.
Pictures walking through the estate of Brinnington
Brinnington is a north-eastern suburb of Stockport, Greater Manchester. It is known locally as "Brinny".
It is situated on a bluff above a bend in the Tame Valley and is an area of vast regeneration, including the demolition of the Top Shops in 2007, which were replaced by new shops, 53 shared ownership houses and First House. In 2009, 17 new homes were built at Lantern Close, a new road named after the annual lantern parade in the area. Brinnington was once an area of open farm land, but then as in many other areas the land was required in the local authority housing developments of the 1950s and 1960s. To the west of Brinnington is an area known as Reddish Vale, a country park. This is a popular area for families to go for a walk and explore the ponds and brick viaducts. Situated here is another popular spot under the arches where there is a sharp bend in the river and sand has been deposited giving the effect of a miniature "beach".
The area consists mainly of council owned dwellings including high rise flats. Brinnington has high crime levels and long-term unemployment at 20%. Two streets, Northumberland Road and Brinnington Road were named by police as 2 of the 3 'Worst Roads in Stockport' in April 2010.
Brinnington is served by Brinnington railway station on the Hope Valley Line from Sheffield to Manchester. The estate is accessed via Brinnington Road, which crosses the M60 motorway at both ends. The original proposed Manchester congestion charge would have charged motorists for crossing the M60 motorway, and protests from local residents led to a change in the proposed boundaries, excluding Brinnington from the charge zone.
Brinnington has three churches: St. Luke's (Anglican), St. Bernadette's (Roman Catholic), and Brinnington Community Church at the Lighthouse Centre (formerly Brinnington Evangelical Church) which until the end of 2010 was part of Stockport Family Church, but as of September 2011 became a church plant from Heaton Chapel Christian Church.
There are three primary schools: St. Paul's, St. Bernadette's (Roman Catholic) and Westmorland, the last being an amalgamation of the former Brindale, Maycroft and Tame Valley Primary Schools. Westmorland Primary School is particularly focused on the arts and has a school orchestra.
Hollow End Towers in the Brinnington Housing Estate was the scene for one of the leading cases on the law of nuisance, in Transco plc. v. Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council.
Pictured Reddish Vale viaduct
Reddish is an area of the Metropolitan Borough of Stockport, in Greater Manchester, England. It is 2 miles (3.2 km) north of Stockport and 4.6 miles (7.4 km) southeast of Manchester. The population is 30,055 in an area of 7.08 square kilometres (2.73 mi²).
Historically a part of Lancashire, Reddish grew and developed rapidly during the Industrial Revolution and still retains landmarks from that period, such as Houldsworth Mill, a former textile mill.
Reddish Vale is a country park close to the locality.
Bramhall is an affluent suburb in the Metropolitan Borough
of Stockport, it was historically part of Cheshire.
Bredbury is a suburban town in the Metropolitan Borough of
Stockport. The town reaches to the lower southern slopes of Werneth Low, an
outlier of the Peak District between the valleys of the River Tame and River
Cheadle is a suburban village in the borough of Stockport.
It was historically in Cheshire and boarders Cheadle Hulme, Gately, Heald Green
and Cheadle Heath.
Cheadle Hulme is a suburb in the borough of Stockport again
it was also historically part of Cheshire. It lies in the Ladybrook Valley on
the Cheshire Plain and the drift consists mostly of boulder clay, sands and
Hazel Grove is a suburb within the Metropolitan Borough of
Stockport it is located close to the Peak District national park. It was
historically a part of Cheshire until 1836 the area was known as Bullock Smithy
but this was unpopular with its residents and so the settlement was renamed
Hazel Grove, this could possibly have something to do with the large number of
hazel trees in the area.
Heaton Chapel is an area in the northern part of Stockport.
It boards the Manchester district of Levenshulme to the north and the Stockport
districts of Heaton Moor to the west, Reddish and Heaton Norris to the east.
Heaton Chapel and its neighbouring areas are collectively known as the Four
Heaton Norris is a suburb in the Metropolitan Borough of
Stockport, this is also part of the four Heatons along with Heaton Chapel,
Heaton Mersey and Heaton Moor. It was a former parish in Lancashire but it 1835
was annexed to Stockport.
Reddish is an area of the Metropolitan Borough of Stockport,
again it was historically a part of Lancashire. Reddish grew rapidly in the
Industrial Revolution and still retains landmarks from the period such as
Romiley is an area in the borough of Stockport, Greater
Manchester. It was historically part of Cheshire and it boarders Marple,
Bredbury and Woodley.
Woodley is a suburb in the borough of Stockport and it lies
on the east side of the Peak Forest Canal and it next to Bredbury and Romiley. It
is on the boundary with Gee Cross in Tameside.
Wikipedia but edited by myself over time