Town Hall stands on a large site at the junction of Talbot Road and Warwick Road in Stretford, England, directly opposite the Old Trafford Cricket Ground, and just a couple of mile south of Manchester Town hall
. Trafford's town hall designed by architects Bradshaw Gass & Hope of Bolton on behalf of Stretford Municipal Borough, and built by the main contractor Edwin Marshall & Sons. Work began on 21 August 1931, funded by a government grant of £88,000; the building was officially opened as Stretford Town Hall on the granting of Stretford's charter on 16 September 1933.
The steel-framed building has two stories plus basement and attic floors, with a mansard roof. Set in landscaped grounds with a sunken garden, it is constructed of brick in Flemish bond with gritstone dressings. It originally consisted of a main front with a wing on each side, until a rear extension was added between the wings in 1983, enclosing an inner courtyard.
In 1974, on the formation of the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford, the new council adopted the town hall as its base, renaming it Trafford Town Hall. It was renovated in the early 1980s, in a schedule of work that included the addition of a 10,000-square-metre (110,000 sq ft) underground nuclear fall-out shelter; the shelter was subsequently used for storage until its closure in 2011. Trafford Town Hall was designated a Grade II listed building in 2007.
In 2011 the 1983 extension was demolished, the 1933 original building was refurbished and new offices were added. The new buildings were opened in 2013.
Architects to the new building and refurbishment 5Plus Architects:
have worked with Shepherd Construction and Trafford
Borough Council for the provision of the new council offices and full refurbishment of the existing Grade 2 listed town hall at Old Trafford. The design is based around four distinct components as follows:
The sensitive refurbishment of the existing town hall to create high quality meeting, conference, training and dining facilities for office workers as well as the wider community.
35,000 sqft of new sustainable office space accommodated within three, 2 storey wings.
A new highly transparent public reception and elegantly clad conference facility fronting Warwick Road.
A two storey high “Internal street” which acts as the main organiser of the building and around which all three of the above components are hung.