The Lancaster Moor Hospital lies east of Lancaster, on the west side of a valley which includes the M6 and which rises on the other side to higher ground which is part of the Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB). The site is divided by Quernmore Road and is bounded on the western side by Williamson Park and playing fields at Far Moor. The wooded slopes at the southern end of the site merge into the woodland in Williamson Park. The northern part of the site is dominated by the “Annexe”, a Victorian hospital of gothic design which is a grade II Listed Building. It is highly visible, particularly from the east and the M6 motorway, and makes a significant contribution to the character of this part of Lancaster. The most important building on the south of Quernmore Road is the original Moor Hospital building, a Grade II* Listed Building. Built of Lancaster stone to a distinctively institutional Victorian design, the original hospital buildings south of Quernmore Road are listed Grade II , and the Annexe on the north side of Quernmore Road has been listed Grade II. The church has also been listed Grade II.
HISTORY: The County Lunatic Asylum on Lancaster Moor, located to the south of Quernmore Road, was opened in 1816 and was extended in stages throughout the C19th and C20th. In 1878 the asylum acquired land on the north side of Quernmore Road and a large building known as the Annexe was designed by the architect Arnold Kershaw and opened in 1883 for the accommodation of 828 patients. At the same time a southern boundary wall and railings together with an entrance from Quernmore Road was built. This entrance is located in line with an entrance and the central spine of the Annexe building. A later entrance in the boundary wall was then constructed leading off Quernmore Road at an unspecified date between 1919-1939 at the south corner of the Annexe complex. The asylum was renamed Lancaster Moor Hospital under the National Health Service. The annexe and all associated buildings north of Quernmore Road had closed by 2000.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: A boundary wall, railings, gates, gateposts and steps forming the original and C20th entrances to Lancaster Moor Hospital on the north side of Quernmore Road. The original entrance was designed by Arnold Kershaw and opened in 1883 and its location complements the Annexe, itself a listed building Grade II, to which it was originally constructed to provide access. The C20 entrance together with the boundary wall complements the original entrance and the whole gives a pleasing aspect to the hospital boundary on the north side of Quernmore Road.